The above is a wordpress error. One that I have struggled with over the years. I’m not sure why this latest experienced occurred. I believe something changed when a new server was installed. When I encounter something I don’t know the answer to I turn to Google. As expected, Google directed me to wordpress.org for the answer. Unfortunately, all I found where the same answers that I found last time I had searched.
My blog was down for 24 hours until I found a solution. The answer, while modified from the original, was on wordpress.org. I found it with my third or fourth link down in my google search this morning. Yesterday morning I was not so lucky with my selections.
A user had posted that they created a php.ini file and saved it in the wp_admin folder of wordpress. All the file contained was this:
memory_limit = 256M ;
upload_max_filesize = 10M
post_max_size = 10M
Actually, it was just the first line and someone suggested the other two lines. I created the file and placed it in the wp_admin folder. It still didn’t work. After a few more troubleshooting attempts I decided to try it in a different directory. I copied it to the main wordpress directory. Viola! It works!
Another reason why I think it had to do with the new server is my menu on my main site: PCPrime has suddenly disappeared. It must have relied on an old version of PHP. This isn’t the worst since I am going to overhaul the site before January 1.
update 12/29/12 – Trick did NOT work on another wordpress site of mine but it did work in the wp_admin folder.