I was unable to login to Elementary today. Every time I entered in my password it just flashed and nothing would happen. I was able to use guest which was good because I had a more important matter to attend to and I needed SSH access. Not sure what happened but I found people with similar issues at this thread right on the elementary.org site. I’ve actually come across this issue with ubuntu and lubuntu in the past. The very easiest thing to do is to hit CTRL-ALT-F1 which takes you to a terminal screen where you can enter your username and password.
Once you have logged in you have a few choices to try and fix the problem.
- type sudo rm /home/username/.Xauthority and then reboot
- OR sudo apt-get install pantheon-xsession-settings and then reboot
My issue was 2-fold. I did a an update and upgrade and it upgraded pantheon. I wasn’t missing the package like one of the other posters. However, after rebooting it still didn’t work. I then proceeded to delete .Xauthority and rebooted. Now I have a functional Freya Elementary OS.
Like I mentioned before I have ran into this issue before and it was not an easy fix. I think it had something to do with lightdm and my nvidia display drivers.
I did a short post yesterday about my install of the latest version of Elementary OS Freya Beta. As of this morning I decided to check for some updates via the terminal. The updates went in just fine but I thought the default font in terminal was a little off. It may have to do with the guest additions still not being installed.
This is what it looks like before Guest Additions are installed:
This is what it looks like after Guest Additions are installed.
The resolution changed! Still not a fan of the default font.
- I was missing my dock again after a reboot. I hit the power button and then it appeared. I did another reboot and it showed up right away. On my 4th reboot after Guest Additions was installed it was missing again! Another reboot did the trick. Wonder if it is a random issue. I did submit a bug report.
- I logged into chromium and now the Applications list in Freya includes 2 of my Chrome apps. Chrome RDP and 2X Remote both show in the list. It seems like they both open in a window.
- Installing Guest additions didn’t change any defaults so installed the dkms ones instead and that worked. Now I can change the resolution.
That’s all the time I have right now. I’ll try to take more notes this afternoon.
UPDATE from this afternoon:
Only 1 very annoying bug but I don’t know how to pin point it. In terminal the cursor will freeze for about 10 seconds. It happens quite frequently but I don’t know if I can even put a time interval on it. Maybe every few minutes it happens? You think that the cursor is not doing anything but it does remember what keys were pressed before the freeze.